If we reduce the population of Earth to a small town with 100 people whilst still keeping the proportions, it will look like this:
14 Americans (northern and southern)
6 people will own 59% of the whole world wealth and all of them will be from the USA
80 will have bad life conditions
70 will be illiterate
50 will be under-fed
1 will die
2 will be born
1 will have a computer
1 (only one) will have higher education
If you look at the world from this point of view, you will see how big the need for solidarity, understanding, patience and education there is.
Think about this.
1) If this morning you've woken up healthy, you are happier than 1 million people that will not survive till next week.
2) If you never survived a war, the loneliness of the jail cell, the agony of torture, or faced hunger, you are happier than 500 million people in this world.
3) If you can enter into a church, mosque or temple without fear of jail or death, you are happier than 3 million people in this world.
4) If there is food in your refridgerator, have shoes and clothes to wear, have a bed and a roof, you are richer than 75% of the people in this world.
5) If you have a bank account, money in your wallet and some coins in the money-box, you belong to the 8% of people in the world, who are well-to-do.
Does put things in perspective, doesn't it ? Next time you crib about missing out on the iPod, think again.